19 June 2011

Baskets


I've just had a few days in London catching up with family and of course taking in some of the major exhibitions but it isn't these I want to talk about.  It was one I stumbled across by accident when I was at the British Museum, 'Baskets and belonging: Indigenous Australian histories' which is on until early September and well worth a visit.  The museum is celebrating an Australian season and as well as baskets, there are Australian plants and lanscape in the forecourt and a selection of drawings and prints by Australian artists.

I love baskets, the careful selection and manipulation of fibres worked with great skill and dexterity to create a form that can be both functional and beautiful.  The ones displayed are all from the museum's collection, supported with text explaining something about their history.  Sadly no photography but I have included one of my own images from a beginners workshop I did last year in Alsager with Christine Redstone at the Redstone Centre.  Mine is on the right, the one looking like a bad hair day!  It was a fun weekend but I concluded to do it properly I would need a large studio with plenty of storage space for materials!!   Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment